India is prepared to play the first test match against England in MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai. Virat Kohli, who was on paternity leave in the Border Gavaskar Trophy 2020-21, will be eyeing on series victory to qualify for the World Test Championship finals against New Zealand. England, who recently decimated Sri Lanka, would also be looking forward to secure victory against India and make it to the WTC finals. Some of the players from both the team will have special attention in the entire test series. Five major players to watch out in the first test match at Chennai are:
- Virat Kohli: Virat Kohli will be one of the prime players to watch out in the first test match between India and England. The recent victory against Australia and childbirth will pump the motivation of the skipper on the field against England. Also, he will have the opportunity to create a world record. If the captain scores a century at Chennai, he will surpass the world record of former Australia’s Captain Ricky Pointing most hundreds as captain in international cricket. It will also be his 28th test century.
- Ben Stokes: Ben Stokes is one of the most ferocious batsmen in the England roster. Stokes has been a prominent player for the team since 2019. He handles the middle-order batting responsibility and score big runs on the board for the team. Indian bowlers will have to execute special strategies against the all-rounder player to put the pressure on rivals.
- Ishant Sharma: When it comes to test matches, Ishant Sharma is one of the trusted players for India. The right-arm fast bowler uses the pitch as an advantage and confuses the batting line-up of rivals. It is also expected that Ishant Sharma and Jasprit Bumrah will look forward to early wickets in the match to increase the pressure on the England team. Ishant was dropped out of the Border Gavaskar Trophy due to match fitness, and now he will have all eyes on him in the first test match against England.
- James Anderson: Whenever England has struggled to break partnerships, James Anderson has been the savior for the team. He is the most successful bowler of England in long format and has an intriguing track record in Asia. Along with other bowlers in the roster such as Jofra Archer and Jack Leach, James Anderson will be a trouble for India’s batting line up.
- Joe Root: Joe Root will be playing his 100th international test against India in Chennai. The skipper has shown promising results against Sri Lanka. He scored 426 runs while maintaining an average of 106.50. Root is also the 5th highest run-getter in the oldest format for England. It is speculated that Joe Root will trouble the bowling line up of India with his gameplay.
India Playing XI: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli (C), Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rishabh Pant, Washington Sundar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, and Shahbaz Nadeem
England Playing XI: Rory Joseph Burns, Dom Sibley, Dan Lawrence, Joe Roots (C), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler, Dom Bess, Jofra Archer, Jack Leach, and James Anderson.